Drinking Alcohol Every Day – Do I Have a Drinking Problem?
If you are drinking alcohol every day, this in itself doesn’t necessarily mean that you have a drinking problem or an alcohol addiction.
Expert guidelines state that men and women should drink no more than 14 units of alcohol per week to reduce the risk of developing health problems and complications as a result of consuming alcohol.
So what does this equate to? 14 units of alcohol is roughly:
- 6 pints of beer
- 6 glasses of wine
- 14 25ml measures of spirits
Therefore, the act of drinking every day doesn’t necessarily suggest that you have an alcohol addiction. It’s more about how much alcohol you’re regularly consuming on a weekly basis, as well as the emotions that are underpinning this destructive behaviour. If you find that you are regularly drinking more than 14 units of alcohol per week, this could be a sign that you have a drinking problem.
Other signs and symptoms that could suggest a drinking problem
As well as drinking more than 14 units of alcohol in a week, the following are all signs and symptoms that you may have an alcohol problem.
Do you ever find that you:
- Drink as a way of relieving stress?
- Feel irritable or anxious if you haven’t had a drink?
- Need to have a drink to get out of bed in the morning and function throughout the day?
- Need to drink more alcohol than you previously did in order to feel ‘drunk’?
- Neglect your responsibilities?
Other signs of alcohol addiction may include:
- Lying or being defensive about the extent of your drinking
- Drinking heavily on your own, even to the point of passing out
- Having intense cravings for alcohol, which affect your concentration or mood
- Suffering from vicious mood swings
- Continuing to drink even after it has caused problems in your life
The CAGE test
If you’re worried about any of these symptoms, another way of exploring whether you may have a drinking problem is through the CAGE test, which asks the following four questions:
- Have you ever felt as though you should Cut down on your drinking?
- Have people ever Annoyed you by criticising your drinking?
- Have you ever felt bad or Guilty about your drinking?
- Have you ever had an ‘Eye-opener’ e.g. a drink first thing in the morning to get rid of a hangover?
If you have answered ‘yes’ to any of these questions, this may also be a sign that you have developed a problem with drinking.
Expert help for alcoholism
If you are drinking alcohol every day and are worried that you have a drinking problem, it’s so important that you reach out for help. Make an appointment to go and see your GP where you'll be able to discuss your concerns and worries. Alternatively, you can contact Manor Clinic directly to speak to a member of our highly skilled team, who can arrange a visit and offer you our free addiction assessment.
Alcohol addiction treatment at Manor Clinic includes:
- Medically assisted withdrawal alcohol detoxification for your alcohol addiction, if this is required
- Structured group therapy
- A high quality family programme
- Access to 12-Step support groups
- Free aftercare for life
- Free family support for life
Our highly skilled team are dedicated to helping you to overcome your drinking problem and get your life back on track.