Most people present in crisis or distress, when they see a psychiatrist. I seek to use the art and science of medicine and psychiatry to help. I consider it to be a privilege to work with others, within a relationship built on trust, respect and openness.
Dr Simon Kelly
Dr Simon Kelly works one day weekly, and provides an outpatient service here at The Manor Clinic.
Dr Kelly qualified as a consultant psychiatrist in the NHS in 1999, in Southampton and has worked as an independent consultant psychiatrist at Priory Hospital Southampton since 2003. Dr Kelly has been the clinical lead for addiction services at Priory Hospital Southampton since 2006, and at The Manor Clinic since 2017. Dr Kelly also works with the General Medical Council (GMC), providing services for doctors as patients.
- formerly worked as a deputy hospital director at Priory Hospital Southampton.
- formerly worked as liaison lead at Priory Hospital Southampton, with the Ministry of Defence (MoD), when Priory Group provided residential management for members of Her Majesty’s Armed Forces, prior to the establishment of psychiatric services at the Royal Centre for Defence Medicine, Birmingham. He continues to work closely with ‘combat stress’.
- worked with professional athlete organisations supporting cricketers, footballers, rugby players and sailors.
- worked to provide psychiatric services to Hampshire Police, Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service, the ambulance service, IBM, the Port of Southampton, the Civil Aviation Authority and National Air Traffic Services (NATS).
Dr Kelly qualified as a doctor and a Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS) in 1991 from Charing Cross and Westminster Medical School, now the Imperial College School of Medicine, London.
Dr Kelly trained in psychiatry at The Bethlem and Maudsley Hospital School in London (1993-1996). He trained in general adult psychiatry, as well as liaison psychiatry at King’s College Hospital, obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD) at The National OCD Service, and in attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) and attention deficit disorder (ADD) at The Maudsley Hospital.
He also worked extensively on the National Addiction Unit at The Maudsley Hospital.
His Masters in Psychiatry (MSc Psych) was awarded in the management of depressive disorder, from the Institute of Psychiatry, King’s College London.
He has been a UK-registered psychiatrist since 1996 when he also became a Member of The Royal College of Psychiatrists. He has subsequently been elected a Fellow of The Royal College of Psychiatrists (FRCPsych).
Dr Kelly joined The Wessex NHS, Senior Registrar Rotation (1996-1999), and was appointed as an NHS consultant psychiatrist, in 1999 in Southampton. He entered private practice at Priory Hospital Southampton in 2003.
Dr Kelly specialises in addiction and substance misuse psychiatry, and has been the clinical lead for addictions at Priory Southampton, and the unit relocation to The Manor Clinic Southampton, since 2006. The Manor Clinic is a freestanding specialist unit providing residential, addiction services.
Dr Kelly worked with colleagues at King’s College Hospital emergency department and the National Addiction Unit at The Maudsley Hospital, in completion of his MSc in psychiatry.
- Addiction Treatment
- Alcohol Rehabilitation
- Amphetamine Addiction
- Cannabis Addiction
- Cocaine Addiction
- Drug Rehabilitation
- Ecstasy / MDMA Addiction
- Exercise Addiction
- Gambling Addiction
- Gaming Addiction
- Heroin Addiction
- Internet Addiction
- Ketamine Addiction
- Legal High Addiction
- Legal High Psychoactive Substance Addiction
- Prescription Drug Addiction Treatment
- Sex and Love Addiction
- Shopping Addiction
- Stimulant Addiction
- Work Addiction
- Bachelor of Medicine – Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS) - 1991
- Fellow of Royal College of Psychiatrists (FRCPsych)
- Master of Science in Psychiatry MSc (Psych) - 2008